Most women say that, while their husbands and children make them happy, their primary sense of fulfillment comes from being personally satisfied and independent.
That’s the conclusion of a Ladies’ Home Journal poll of American women. The poll of 1,000 American women was conducted by Michael J. Berland, president of polling and the research firm Penn Schoen Berland, who wrote about his findings in the July 2011 issue of the magazine.
The pollsters asked: How important is each of these in making you feel fulfilled?
- 74 percent said: Being at peace with myself and my decisions
- 72 percent said: Having the freedom to make the choices I want
- 71 percent said: Leading a life that has meaning
- 70 percent said: Raising good kids
- 65 percent said: Making my relationship the best it can be
- 48 percent said: Feeling secure about my job
- 33 percent said: Having great sex
- 30 percent said: Religion/spirituality
- 23 percent said: Volunteering
What makes you feel fulfilled? What gives your life meaning? What changes do you need to make so that you will feel more fulfilled? We’re going to ask ourselves these questions, and we would like to hear your answers to these questions. Please go to our website and leave your comments on our blog.